In the 1940s
Aerial view from January 1945 - Viewing direction is approx. southeast. The image was classified as "Restricted". (Source: US DoD)
Enlargement: Eastern part - Three aircraft hangars are visible here. The field is occupied by many airplanes. (Source: US DoD)
Enlargement: Runway and western part - Numerous aircraft are also parked here. (Source: US DoD)
Departed plane (Source: US DoD)
Aerodrome map, 30 June 1945 - At that time the airfield was called Athens Hassani. There are two runways - 025/205: length 1829 m (6000 feet) asphalt, 155/335: length 1829 m (6000 feet) asphalt. The map is classified as "Restricted". (Source: US DoD)
Range approach, 28 July 1945 - The Range beacon, identifier "HK", is located north-northwest of the field. Other airfields: Eleusis (Elefsis), Tatoi, Skaramanga und Phaleron seaplane bases. (Source: US DoD)
In the 1950s
NDB approach (September 1953) (Source: US DoD)
Landing Chart (September 1953) - There are two runways - 155/335: length 2250 m, width 50 m (7382 feet x 164 feet), 03/12: length 1800 m, width 60 m (5905 feet x 197 feet). (Source: US DoD)
In the 1970s
Satellite image from 20 July 1973 (Source: U.S. Geological Survey)
Index to the objects shown on the maps
Radio beacons with identifier:
- Athens Ellinikon / Ελληνικόν: Range "HK"
- Eleusis NDB "LS"
- Glifadha: NDB "HN"
- Hassani: Range "HK", NDB "CR"
- Kavouri / ΚΑΒΟΥΡΙ: NDB "SWA"
Air traffic control / Communications:
- Athinai Approach Control, Athinai Tower
- Aegina / Αίγινα, Anavyssos / Ανάβυσσος, Arsida / Αρσίδα
- Fleves / Φλέβες
- Glyfada / Γλυφάδα
- Kalyvia Thorikou / Καλύβια Θορικού, Keratea / Κερατέα, Kifissia / Kifisia / Κηφισιά, Koropi / Κορωπί, Kouvaras / Κουβαράς
- Legrena / Λεγρενά
- Markopoulo Mesogeas / Μαρκόπουλο Μεσογαίας
- Paiania / Παιανία, Paleo Faliro / Παλαιό Φάληρο, Patroklos / Πάτροκλος, Piräus / Πειραιάς
- Salamis / Σαλαμίνα, Saronic Gulf / Σαρωνικός Κόλπος / Saronikós Kólpos, Spata / Σπάτα
- Vari, Voula / Βούλα, Vouliagmeni / Βουλιαγμένη
Source for all maps, if not marked otherwise: US Department of Defense (US DoD)